The Festival of Speed is motorsports’ ultimate summer garden party and presents one of the worlds best automotive events, which includes all aspects of the motorsport world. This is an event where you can get up close to all types of cars, bikes and merchandise covering the entire spectrum of motor racing. If your interest is to see new cars then most major manufactures are present with their stands and their latest models.
The competion highlight of the FOS is the shootout, the race up the hill of all types of vehicles from vintage to Formula 1, some driven by current and past champions. Travis Pastrana in his incredible Sabaru WRX ST1 was leading with a time of 48.10 but was bested by Rob Bell in a factory-backed McLaren 720 GT3X with a incredible time of 45.01 seconds.
As if racing is not enough, you are dazzled with areal displays featuring non other than the Red Arrows, while entertained by motor sport celebrities, racing teams from Ferrari to Mercedes, Bonhams Auto auction featuring this year a special 1928 Maserati 26 B and a Ferrari 246/60 and the Cartier Style et Luxe, with this years winner a Lancia Stratos owned by designer Marc Newsom. Even the parking lots are not to be missed, filled with supercars and rare classic sports cars.
The Michelin Super Car Run featured an unbelievable collection of new metal including the Bugatti Chiron Pur Sport, Aston’s Vantage F1, Lamborghini’s Huracan STO and SCV12, Maserati’s MC20, MacLaren’s Arturo and Porsche’s GT3 Touring.
It would be hard to choose what highlights to include in photos but a few examples:
- Max Girardo’s display of Championship rally cars which included Sebastion Loob’s Citroen C4 piloted to 4 World Rally Championships and the ex-Colin McRae 1997 Safari Rally-winning Subaru
- The Ferrari team’s display of their F1 Cars; the Ferrari GTO of rock star Nick Masson; and the Ferrari 512 M
- The Gilera 1957 multi World Champion bike raced by Geoff Duke and Bob McIntyre, the1954 BMW Rennsport
- The 1969 Porsche 917 K — sitting next to the fabulous 1978 Porche 935 ‘Moby Dick’
- A fleet of Lancia completion cars
- Super cars like the 2020 Pagani Huayra 760VR and the experimental British electric car of McMurty Automotive
- A recreation of the 1961 Ferrari 156 ‘Shark nose’ cars
- The display of classic Hispano Suiiza cars
- The Dream Cars display of the ‘Triple Crown’: the 1953 convertible Eldorado Cadillac, Buick Skylark and Oldsmobile Fiesta
- The 1920’s Amilcar display in the Cartier Style et Luxe enclosure